Whether you suffer from insomnia or sleep like a log, the ancient teachings of the Vedas tell us that the way we set up our bedroom can have a powerful impact on the depth and quality of our sleep. It can also boost the sensuality-factor for deeper connection with our loved one.
Vastu shastra (literally the ”science of construction or architecture”) is an ancient science that arranges dwellings in accordance with natural elements and directional alignments. Think Indian feng shui.
Here is my modern interpretation on a simple vastu bedroom wisdom. Use it to optimize your sacred sleep chamber. In general, these pointers will help you create an atmosphere that begs for sensual ritual and deep sleep:
1. Keep the room light and airy. Open windows as much as the seasons allow.
2. Keep the temperature mild and pleasant. I recommend avoiding overheating or over-air conditioning the room. Make sure your body feels comfortable. Sometimes just feeling cold is enough to cause insomnia.
3. Get rid of the clutter. There should be nothing in the bedroom that reminds you of work. Move the stacks of papers you need to file at the office out of this sacred sleep chamber. Take the spare change and those piles of mail off the top of your dresser. (Go do it now, you know you have a stack like that!)
4. Bring in harmony by keeping the room clean, well-painted and orderly.
5. The room should be private.
6. The room should be empty of machines or technologies. They kill the buzz of sensuality, and increase restlessness in the body and mind.
7. Create some boundaries on your e-life. Life changes when we make the adult decision to turn off our electronic devices after 9pm. Seriously, the iphone may be one sexy technological wonder, but your significant other is sexier. If you are single, relish this time alone to read your favorite books.
8. Avoid all forms of news media in the bedroom.
9. The room should smell good, but not too scented. Avoid heavy incense. Use fresh romantic scents such as ylang ylang, sandalwood, jasmine, and rose.
10. The bed should be comfortable, not sag in the middle, and made with sheets should be made of natural organic fibers.
Learn more about bringing harmony to your home with vastu here.